About Henry D Johnstone
Our history started in 1900 when a nine fingered Italian watchmaker, Alberto Unwin, was travelling from Manchester to Derby with his stock of barometers intent on settling a new business. When he happened upon Alderley Edge he was struck by the charm and people of the village and decided there and then that this would make a perfect location for his shop. In September 1900 Unwins Watch, Clock and Barometers opened for business in London Road, Alderley Edge. He soon became an integral part of the village winding and servicing the clocks at the local bank, the Victoria Hotel and the houses on both Macclesfield and Congleton Road and in time his business prospered and was joined by his son Edwin.
To ensure success you really need to identify with your customer. Our clientele are very in tune with fashion and style trends; recognize and understand quality and are reassured by the expertise and experience I have.
In 1917 a local lad, Donald Massey joined the business as an apprentice watchmaker and in 1952 when Edwin retired Donald and his wife Nellie bought the business and began trading as DJ Massey. The shop now at 51A London Road, Alderley Edge became renowned for its eclectic stock of antique, second hand and modern jewellery, with a reputation for honest dealing and friendly service. In 2002 Donalds son David Massey retired and the business was bought by Henry Johnstone. Henry purchased the business with an idea to not only refresh and re-invigorate the business but to build on its already prestigious reputation.
Today, after over a century of trading the business is enjoying great success and specialising in pre-owned watches, diamond jewellery, repairs and bespoke design and manufacture. A business built on tradition but forward thinking, we take pride in being the first generation in the latest chapter of a century long legacy of quality jewellers in Alderley Edge, to this date the longest established retail business still running in the village. 2015 saw our first refurbishment of our showroom in the heart of Alderley Edge since opening in 2003. As well as restoring the antique cabinets and our much admired stained glass window, we have given the showroom a much more sophisticated and contemporary look providing a welcoming and luxurious space for our customers to browse at their leisure.